PROGRAM OFFICER - THIRD WAVE FUND
Third Wave Fund, a hosted project at the Proteus Fund has a Program Officer position available:
Location: New York City preferred, other locations considered
Status: Full-‐time, exempt position of 40 hours per week, additional hours occasionally required.
Who We Are
Third Wave Fund resources youth-‐led Gender Justice activism to advance the political power, well-‐being, and self determination of communities of color and low-‐income communities. We are an activist fund led by and for the most marginalized – women of color, intersex, queer and trans people under 35 years of age. This means young decision-‐makers at the cutting edge of philanthropy where they are commonly absent. To that end, we partner with donors to support and strengthen youth-‐led efforts for the long-‐ term empowerment of marginalized voices, communities, and movements across the US.
Third Wave is currently launching two gender justice funding areas called Mobilize Power and Seed Power which each focus on work led by and for young women of color, trans/gnc/intersex, and queer youth.
Mobilize Power is a rapid response fund that makes small grants towards urgent activism, and Seed Power invests in emerging organizations with multi-year funding and capacity-‐building support.
To learn more about Third Wave Fund, please visit our website: www.thirdwavefund.org.
Third Wave Fund seeks a Program Officer to work closely with the Fund’s Executive Director to:
1) Oversee grantmaking and administration, including relationship and capacity building with grantees.
2) Promote Third Wave’s work, the work of our grantees, and our gender justice framework within
the philanthropic field nationally.
3) Assist in fundraising for Third Wave’s operations and programmatic budget.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manages all aspects of grantmaking, including but not limited to: grantee prospecting; review of funding applications; development of an activist-‐led grantmaking process, design and implementation of grants with a focus on organizational development and capacity building; review of narrative and financial reporting; and designing and monitoring of evaluation processes.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with partners, including: grantees and potential grantees; philanthropic partners, both institutional and individuals; Third Wave’s base of activist donors; and other allies and stakeholders.
- Assists in Third Wave’s program planning and implementation, including: strategic planning; budgeting; identifying opportunities; and staying current on changes and developments within the fields that Third Wave works in.
- Assists in Third Wave’s fundraising efforts, including grassroots fundraising, institutional, and individual donor prospecting and cultivation, and grant writing and reporting.
- Creates capacity building opportunities for grantees, which could include organizing and planning convenings, trainings, and webinars.
- Works closely with Third Wave’s Advisory Board and consultants.
- Manages interns and other staff as needed.
- Additional responsibilities and tasks as needed.
- 3-‐5 years relevant professional experience. Grantmaking experience a plus.
- Strong commitment to Third Wave’s mission, vision and values.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively and professionally communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Significant understanding of the youth organizing landscape nationally, including experience in one or more of the following fields: gender justice, reproductive health and justice, leadership development, and safety/anti-‐violence.
- Deep knowledge of queer, feminist, and transgender movements with a focus on racial, gender, economic, and disability justice.
- Knowledge of organizational development and experience with grassroots organizations a plus.
- Strong interest in philanthropic advocacy and the potential of grantmaking as a tool for change.
- Ability to work in a fast-‐paced and evolving environment.
- Must bring an eager and open-‐minded attitude, including the ability to problem solve as needed.
- Must be comfortable working in a small team in a remote working environment.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of MS Excel and Word required.
- Regular travel required.
Compensation is $50,000-‐$55,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
We offer competitive benefits including four weeks of paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, health insurance, dental insurance, short and long-‐term disability insurance, life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts and employer contribution to a retirement plan.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter as soon as possible, but no later than August 21st, 2015 to email@example.com.
Third Wave Fund, a Project of the Proteus Fund
The Third Wave Fund is a hosted project of the Proteus Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, and an equal opportunity employer.