MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER
The Proteus Fund is a grant making foundation committed to advancing justice through democracy, human rights and peace. We partner with individual donors and foundations to achieve their goals, through strategy development, research and fund management. Proteus is known for tailored grant making initiatives that are responsive, have high impact and integrate support for lobbying activity. Our work advances issues at the leading edge of democracy and social change.
The Proteus Fund seeks a Major Gifts Officer to implement a comprehensive donor-centered major gifts program with a focus on individual donor funding partners. The position will develop and manage a program that serves the needs of donors and transformational grassroots activism while building a shared and celebrated culture of individual giving throughout the Proteus Fund. The position is responsible for managing relationships with individual donor funding partners and helping the Proteus Fund leadership secure major gifts to ensure mission fulfillment. This person reports to the Director of Partnerships and works closely with other members of the Partnership Team and Proteus Fund staff.
Build a 3-5 year Strategic Major Gifts Program that:
- Increases individual donor giving and knowledge of the Proteus Fund’s work and mission
- Maps the organization-wide plan of action for donor engagement, education, appreciation and retention
- Creates a pipeline of new individual donor prospects
- Builds the skills and core competencies of staff and board members involved in individual donor fundraising
- Successfully coordinates the individual giving work with the overall development and partnership plan for each Proteus program
- Positions the Executive Director to increase the percentage of time spent with individual donors from 25-40%
Lead all aspects of the Individual Donor Relations Cycle including:
- Identification: Working with Proteus staff and board to research and identify prospective major gift donors (those with the capacity to make gifts of $25,000-$1,000,000+)
- Cultivation: Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for moving donor prospects in appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Solicitation: Ensuring Proteus staff and board are prepared and trained for donor solicitation. Major Gifts Officer to directly solicit donors when appropriate
- Stewardship: Develops and maintains a calendar of stewardship contacts with donors. Works closely with Program and Partnership staff to integration donor and program activities through our various funding collaboratives
- Assists Director of Partnerships and Executive Director in strengthening relations with donors who have Donor Advised Funds with Proteus
Managing and Tracking Individual Donor Relationships
- Manages the overall individual donor profile portfolios on behalf of Proteus staff and board
- Maintains individual donor database and recordkeeping systems, including hard copy and electronic files, calendars and recordkeeping spreadsheets
- Creates and tracks proposal and reporting deadlines for individual donors
- Reviews and executes grant agreements and acknowledgement of donations for individual donors
Special Events and Donor Visits
- Helps plan and implement special events and donor visits.
- Coordinates the planning, implementation, and development of materials and follow-up for special events and donor visits
- Responsible for oversight and maintenance of Donor Perfect, Proteus’ donor relations database
- Responsible for oversight of Proteus’ wealth research tools
- Participates and provides leadership on the Partnership Team
- Supports the supervision of the Partnership Assistant
- Provides assistance with writing, editing, and proofreading for promotional or other donor materials
- Participates in the general administration of Proteus Fund. Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attends other meetings as needed or requested.
- Additional duties of similar complexity will occasionally be required.
Director of Partnerships
This is a full-time position of 40 hours per week. Work generally occurs Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Additional hours occasionally required. This position may require a significant amount of travel.
Proteus Fund offers competitive salary and benefits, including four weeks of paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, health insurance, dental insurance, short and long term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401k plan participation, employer contribution to a retirement plan and other benefits.
Preferred Background and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and seven to nine years of experience in major gift fundraising.
- Track record of leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional and diverse projects and priorities.
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs and interests of individual donors in order to develop relationships between them and Proteus Fund.
- Successful experience in and comfort with cultivating and soliciting donors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to write compelling letters and proposals.
- Ability to create strong relations with donors in person, by phone and by email.
- Ability to inspire and activate staff and board to advance donor relations.
- Strong computer literacy skills including experience working with Donor Perfect or similar fundraising databases, and experience with web-based communications tools including email campaign clients, such as Mail Chimp.
- Willingness to travel.
- Possesses passion and dedication for the Proteus mission.
Proteus Fund believes that one of the great strengths of the community is the rich diversity of its residents and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, whistleblower status, or any other category protected by state or federal law.
Proteus Fund’s policies and practices are to reflect Proteus Fund’s commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.
Proteus Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
THE PROTEUS FUND
15 Research Drive, Suite B
Amherst, MA 01002
Tel. 413.256.0349 Fax 413.256.3536